Monday, August 13, 2012

Ginger Snap Cookies


I'm about to compare food to a time machine. That's right. A time machine. It's amazing how one bite of food can take you back in time. Isn't it a great feeling when you eat homemade bread that tastes just like the bread that your grandmother use to make? Or when you eat some fresh pasta or a wood fired pizza that brings you back to a trip you took Italy? Or when you go back to a city that you used to live in and eat at your favourite restaurants again? This happens all the time to me. One delicious bite of something and I am instantly in another place.

If food can be compared to a time machine, these cookies are my Delorian. One bite of these brings me back to being 8 years old and cleaning out the cookie jar as quick as my mom could fill it. They were far and away my favourite cookie that my mom made for us. 

I'll make a batch of these and freeze half of them. More than any other cookie I've made, these freeze really well and taste great cold.

What kind of food brings you back in time? Leave a comment and tell me. I'd love to hear your stories.

GINGER SNAP COOKIES

1 1/2 Cups Shortening
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup Molasses
4 Cups Flour
2 tsp baking Soda
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Cloves
2 tsp Ginger (powdered)
Cream together shortening and sugar. Mix in eggs one at a time. Add all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to mixture in 2 or 3 batches.

Then Roll into balls about the size of a golf ball


Toss each ball in a bowl of sugar until it is evenly coated                                 


Spread the balls on a cookie sheet




Press down with a fork and bake at 350 for 12 mins






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...