Saturday, April 28, 2012

Baked Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips





On a recent road trip through British Columbia, my girlfriend bought a bag of baked cinnamon sugar pita chips at a market that we stopped at. When we got back in my truck, we opened the bag and nearly devoured the entire thing. She decided to put the bag away as we were about 3/4 finished it and I threatened to make her walk if she didn't keep feeding them to me. OK, I wasn't going to make her walk, and she didn't take my threat seriously for even a split second, but I really wanted more of them and I had to get point across. These were some serious chips. They were a great snack, and I'd like to think that they are better for you than potato chips. My first thought was, "These would be easy to make." So after experimenting a little bit, this is what I came up with.


I found out that they are very easy to make indeed, but the best part is they are cheap to make as well. A bag of pita bread only cost me $1.49. That's definitely in my budget.


Put these out the next time you have some guests over and you'll find you're guests asking you how you made them. They'll probably invite themselves over again for another visit in the very near future.




I'm not going to write a recipe for this. Instead, I'll explain how to do it. 


Here's what you'll need:
Pita Bread
Cinnamon
Sugar
A can of spray oil (ex. Pam)


Here's how you do it:
Combine 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of cinnamon in a bowl. This will make more than enough cinnamon sugar to do an entire bag of pita bread. If you don't want to do that much, just follow the ratio 4 parts sugar: 1 part cinnamon.
   



Spray a piece of pita with the oil



Liberally spread the cinnamon sugar all over the piece of bread. Go heavy with it.






*** IMPORTANT - After you spread the cinnamon sugar on the bread, spray it again with the oil to help the cinnamon sugar stick to the bread.


Flip the piece of bread over and repeat the process to the other side.




When both sides of the brea are ready, cut the bread into strips.






Cut the strips into bite sized chips.






Spread the chips onto a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.






Bake at 350 for about 5 mins. You have to watch these as they can burn very quickly. After 5 minutes, open the oven and touch them. If they are still soft, leave them in and keep checking them. They are done when they are about 90% firm. 






Once they are done, take them out and allow to cool on a rack.



Store in a air tight bag, or plastic container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...